Any personnel involved in the cleanup and restoration of contaminated sites, including managers, must have the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) 40 Hour HAZWOPER Training (HAZWOPER 40) certification.
OSHA saw the need to provide protection specifically for workers and developed HAZWOPER based on existing Department of Defense (DoD) guidance, with further input from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the U.S. Coast Guard. It is a health and safety standard designed to train workers to be safe while they perform chemical response actions; it is not designed to train on specific technical response activities such as plugging chemical leaks or spill remediation.
In general terms, HAZWOPER training is needed if workers are to be:
- Exposed to high concentrations of poisonous substances
- Exposed to chemical conditions that pose a fire or explosion hazard
- Entering sites with atmospheres at or above IDLH levels
- Exposed to oxygen deficient atmospheres (less than 19.5% oxygen)
- Leading evacuations due to chemical atmospheres or oxygen deficient conditions
- Performing confined space entry
- Supervising workers exposed to any of the above dangers
Examples of professionals who need HAZWOPER training are:
- Environmental clean up
- Marine spill response
- Truck Drivers with Haz Endorsement
- Emergency Response
- Civil Service
- Plant workers
Because of the possibility of needing to interact with hazardous materials and situations, OSHA recommends First Responders including Law Enforcement Officers and Firefighters have at minimum a working awareness of HAZWOPER and, “the role of the first responder awareness individual in an employer’s emergency response plan including site security and control and the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Emergency Response Guidebook.”
Meridian is pleased to offer a 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) course across the Southeast United States.
To learn more about whether or not you and your organization need HAZWOPER 40 training, contact Meridian at (251) 345-6776 or by sending an email to email@example.com